Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Guitar Hero drum pedal mod

So lets see here.... One plastic Guitar Hero drum pedal + one used real drum pedal + screwdriver and a lack of remorse for voiding warranties = FUN!

People who know me have noticed my obsession as of late with Guitar Hero / Rockband... (probably ended up that way due to my lack of *real* musical talent). Drums being my favorite mode of annoying people, I got to be rather annoyed with the stock pedal that came with the drum set. It isn't too bad but it isn't very responsive when you get really complicated stuff thrown at you. Plus, I can't seem to leave stuff alone. I have to find some excuse to take things apart and "fix" them.. *cough*..

Anyways, this isn't a new idea (in fact I saw someone else do this on the internet and pretty much went "cool.. I could do that..") I found a used in-expensive pedal at a cool music shop Portland today and took a screwdriver to my old pedal and swiped the transducer out of it. That is pretty much it. To determine how well it was going to work I grabbed a couple things I had lying around plus some electrical tape and zip ties (yeah I know, real professional) and stuck the transducer up to something I could hit. I played a few songs with it and with the exception of being rather loud and thumpy due to how I have it mounted it works really well. I plan on coming up with a more elegant (and quieter) mounting for it. Probably as soon as I get tired of hearing it in its current setup.

The dog is rather confused by it *shurg*. That would be her "WTF?" look.

1 comment:

noms de plum said...

That's full of win! So I had to post this on my FriendFace. I'll keep you updated on comments...