Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Back to School

well sorta..

It is day 31 of the Boeing strike and in a fit of boredom I went down to the local college machine shop and signed up for a special projects class so I can use their equipment. I will be going down in the mornings (and maybe evenings) to run their wire EDM to make GEARS! wee! mmmm.. Gears..

*cough* anyways.. so I am going to be making a planetary gear train that I designed (last night) just for the fun of it. I don't really have any other way to make the internal gear with any machine over there except wire EDM so I am just going to do the whole thing (minus the housing, etc.) on it. This will also be an experiment to determine what sort of quality you can get out of an EDM for gears. I am thinking profile is going to be the most iffy.. but maybe lead, runout, spacing errors too O_o We'll see..

I'll post pics :)

I figure now that I have signed up for something fun they will resolve the strike and I will be having to go back to work. That's how my luck goes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GEARS?!?! blech. You should make something FUN. like ponies. I like ponies. Make me a pony.

Kristen said...

I didn't have ready access to a pony so I made you something else. *lol*